Monday, May 16, 2011

chewie chocolate chip cookies

I spotted my husband in the kitchen playing around with *my* flour. At first I thought he was cleaning up, but then the clink of the measuring cups alerted me that something was definitely up. Apparently, I wasn't delivering, so he had taken it upon himself to make chocolate chip cookies. To be fair, the last time I made the closest thing to chocolate chip cookies was two months ago when I made these m&m cookies. I've made cookies three times since then, but I guess it doesn't count as they weren't chocolate chip cookies.


He's pretty capable in the kitchen, so I had no doubt that his cookies would be excellent. He likes his chocolate chip cookies with not too many chocolate chips, and they have to be soft and chewy. So he picked a recipe on all recipes called best big fat chewy chocolate chip cookies. After he asked me if he could use a cup and half of the butter softening on the counter, I asked to see the recipe. A quick look revealed a good one, as it's almost exactly like the one I use. And then I figured that he was doubling the recipe. When I asked why, he told me he wanted chocolate chip cookies... ok... So 3 dozen cookies... It's a good thing he didn't find the beaters for the hand-held mixer he was looking for, as I doubt they would have been able to handle that amount of dough.


A quick run to the store to get more chocolate chips, (he only used half of what the recipe calls for, and a mixture of milk, and semi-sweet) and they were in the oven to fill the house with yummy sugary smells.

Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie
recipe source allrecipes.com

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.


I was curious to see how they would turn out, as I usually chill my cookie dough before baking it. They came out fine. Huge, but fine. They were nice and thick, and straight out of the oven, soft and gooey. After they completely cooled, they were nice and chewy with just enough of a crispy edge.


And, after just a little bit of work, and a quick trip to the grocery store, my husband has his chocolate chip cookies. And he will for a while! They filled three cookie tins!

(And I apologize for the badly lit chewbacca pics. They seemed appropriate, but he's kinda ugly, isn't he?)

1 comment:

  1. Chewbacca cookies!!! LOVE it!!! What is it about chocolate chip cookies? Husband asked me to make them yesterday!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(